Day 11 Poem: church on a mount

 

Day 11 Poem: church on a mount
 
As a child my parents would bring us
to the Oratory of Saint Joseph
perched high up on Mount Royal
you could see it from far away
the stairs were long over 250
dad would sometimes park half way
as a child I looked up at the crutches
and the candles that always burned
one small man the Doorkeeper Saint Andre
had a dream, a vision, a hope…fulfilled
 
As an adult my husband now brings us
to the church on the top of the Mount
measured higher than legally permitted
in the distance she's seen as we drive
stairs too tiring now as I age
we drive up and around to the top
canes crutches hanging, I light candles now
in the Votive Chapel still all aglow
and I pray to Saint Andre for help
to Saint Joseph patron of our country
 
I still long as a child to go, perhaps more
to this national historic site, to this Shrine
the largest in Canada, on a road named Queen Mary
with the largest church dome in the world
Yet the journey within is the one that I dream of
And as high as I climb, deep within higher still
thoughts of hope wisdom healing for any in need
and a candle is lit, that they burn brighter still
and I do as the Doorkeeper wrote: When you pray,
talk to God      the way you do   to a friend.
 
Penelope Olive

Prompt today: write a poem about a very large thing, mountain

Prayer to Obtain a Special Favour
THROUGH THE INTERCESSION OF SAINT ANDRÉ

Saint André, we celebrate
your presence among us.
Your loving friendship with Jesus,
Mary and Joseph makes you a powerful
intercessor in the Father's presence.

Compassion carries your words
straight to God's heart,
and your prayers are answered
with comfort and healing.

From our lips to God's ear,
Our supplications are heard through you...

Let us, also, become a part of God's work in the spirit of prayer, compassion and humility.
Saint André


Comments