Day 15 Poem: the road never traveled

 

the road never traveled
 
When vacation time came around
I was so happy to stay home
I enjoy the loveliness of
just   vegging   out
everything I need
right   at   my   fingertips
I have absolutely no interest
in traveling
 
home sweet home
is my mantra
the only real “vacation” I took
once upon a time
happened because
a road trip was cancelled
one which to be honest
I was not that interested in
 
next thing I knew I was
on a plane to Cancun
yuck
first day we visited the beach
second day some random thing
then
I missed my sons
and I wanted to go home
 
but oops
when you’re somewhere
you got to by plane
guess what
you have to stay put until
your ticket says you can leave
soooo
I did all the tourist things
 
with a vengeance:
parasailing – tick
snorklng – tick
mayan ruins – tick
shopping – tick tick
sunbathing – tick
I also did the “stay well” things
no agua; use sunblock – tick!  tick!
 
I arrived home
happy as a lark
skin and tummy intact
suntan-less
no
montezuma’s revenge
and two blue woven blankets in tow
for my sons
 
a silver bracelet I soon lost
and pictures as evidence
of a “vacation” I never wanted
all this to say
I don’t like traveling
vacation for me is
enjoying the time
I can spend at home
 
at home - everything
is at my fingertips
‘cause trust me
when I have to travel
I don't travel light
just ask my husband
and I totally agree with Dorothy
there really is no place like home.

And she said it three times.

Penelope olive

 
Prompt for today: a poem about something you have absolutely no interest in

Comments