Day 5 Poem: sammy's unicorn

 

Poem Day 5: sammy’s unicorn
 
as it were…the strength of a unicorn. Numbers 23:22b kjv
to skip…like a young unicorn. Psalm 29:6b kjv

 
she came with a clinkling
of lavender hoofs
I looked   there she was
her sprinklings aglitter
in my Little Things shop
rummaging my bins
tossing mitts in the air
socks over her head
onto her horn glistening there
“my unisse” she said
importance in her voice.
she emptied the bins
in the Little Things shop
“There’s sprinkles all over!”
…hoof paused in the air
with a glove held just so
by two mauve fingerlings
“Sprinkle-essings” she said
importance in her voice.
socks mittens and bows
gloves ribbons were tossed
here where I worked
this summer
in my Little Things shop.
Then…“Where were you?
I prayed you’d come”
now 16
turning away
with a tossed ponytail
“I know   I was there”
importance in her voice.
with waves of sprinkle-essings
her unicorn tail moved
“I’m growing and need you
my sprinkle-essings to save
so I don’t fade away
or   wander too far”
“Ohhh”.
Together
we chose a glove
each finger would take
its turn to save
silly as she looked
lovely as well
with her unisse dressed now
in one finger
of mauve coloured
glove.
my granny was right
I sighed   she is real
and was gone as she came
with a clinkling of hoofs
and left in her wake
sprinkle-essings  and
wistfulness of lavender.
my childhood friend
my unicorn
had come for a visit
…and

for my help.
 
by Penelope Olive


Prompt today: a mythical creature or person doing something unusual for the character





Comments