Day 7 Poem: new broom sweeps clean

 

new broom sweeps clean
 
My sister brought home a beau one day
and my mother waxed poetic
“How nice, how clever, and how romantic
he truly seems to be”
my dad was more pragmatic
“new broom sweeps clean”, said he.
 
“I take offence", I said with a smile
as my husband walked through the door
here comes old broom, I thought to myself
reliable, humble and sure;
but where is the glow, the newness, the shine
that comes with a new thing? oh...I sighed…
 
A doubt had been planted for I wondered you see
would new broom replace the old
would beloved, familiar, secure and the staid
be relegated now to the boring and plain?
and yet – new broom was romantic and nice
and my sister, delighted, was proud and aglow.
 
Some sayings cause problems sometimes as you see
so here is my rule and my guide:
if you can’t say it clear, don’t say it at all…For…
Is killing two birds with one stone, or to have a bird in the hand,
really better than two in the bush?  For the why of it all
is the crux of it too, as the meaning, my dears, can be rather blue.
 
by Penelope Olive

Prompt today: question/criticize a saying or proverb

Comments