Day 12 Poem: a mother's wedding ring

a mother's wedding ring
 
O ring whose finger thou didst bear
     in company so fair
What didst thou see and hear and feel
    and touch in time of tear
Whether joy or fear or sadness   not
    abandon to her self
In mourning now her ring I bear
  whose presence seems afar
Yet wilt I hold to courage still
   and sing her love so dear
That day wilt come I know not when
   ‘tis not mine to discern
When finger mine thou too wilt bare
   and fare me well goodbye
O ring my hope    then thou wilt bear
   the finger of another
And she wilt ask of me    "O ring
   whose finger thou didst bear
What didst thou see and hear and feel
   and touch in time of tear
In sadness now her ring I bear
    whose presence seems so far
Yet wilt I hold to courage still
   and sing her love so dear".

 
Penelope Olive


Prompt for today: a poem about a very small thing



Comments