Day 29 Poem: the gifts of life

 

Day 29 Poem:  the gifts of life
 
Mom must have been really ready to have me
at the first birth pang
she appeared at the hospital in her nightgown
and with her suitcase
the story goes that she called out God’s name
in all the languages she knew
English Papiamento Spanish Dutch French
Taki-taki or Sranan
if the truth be known I do seem to have a propensity
for  language and French translation
and my faith in God is the most precious gift of all
with much gratitude mum
later the nurse was heard to say to my Mom, “tonight
everyone is going to sleep”
Mom said I was the most beautiful baby in the nursery -
of course all the rest were boys
I can’t say that physical beauty is a gift I have - however,
I am fairly presentable
as I grew I did have a tendency to not gain weight
a rather mixed blessing
because the reason is probably more connected to allergies
than to good eating habits
Mom said she would feed me my bottle, and I would
promptly throw it all up
I loved two things about school, games at recess and
literature class
loving games has been a gift for this grandmother
poetry and writing as well
the oldest of seven, mom would send me to the backyard
to teach my siblings
I loved this gift of teaching and it has been a great help to me
at work home play
singing is not a gift I have, I think this runs in the family - however
I do still enjoy making a joyful noise
the three gifts I regretted as a teen that today I warmly embrace are
my name, teeth, and curls
A tiny baby girl is born to her and my Mom chooses to name her
Penelope Lydia…really??
Nicknames like Lopee (am I a kangaroo?) and Nickel, grow
Old Very Quickly
today I embrace my name, particularly since my marriage
Penelope Olive has a nice Ring
my curls, the bane of my teenage existence, are now today
The Beach Hairstyle
as for my healthy buck-teeth, these today are embraced as
The London Look
Granny was my best gift of  all, at her hand I learned the basics
of all textile arts, and this
with gentleness patience care love; she taught me how to be
a Good Grandmother.
 
Penelope Olive
 
Prompt for today:  Write a poem in which you muse on the gifts you received at birth, whether they are actual presents, or talents, or circumstances – as well as a “curse” you’ve lived with (creepy porcelain doll for every birthday a bad singing voice, etc.).  I hope you will find this to be an inspiring avenue for poetic and self exploration.

Comments