Day 30 Poem: seeker

 seeker

I seek the sources of refreshment, sustenance, and healing
that my spirit, like my body, is constantly in need of. 1
 
What makes this world so lovely  is that somewhere it hides a well. 2
 
What you seek and most desire you will not find by your way,
not by lofty contemplation,
but rather by deep humility and submissiveness of heart. 3
 
Satin I step from, wear dungaree; stow the harp high in a green willow tree.
Stow it in hope there, looking to you, who wounded this heart, made off with it too. 4
 
Say good-bye to golden yesterdays – or your heart will never learn  to love  the present. 5
 
I sat there in awe as the old monk answered our questions.
“Father, could you tell us something about yourself?”
He leaned back, “Myself?” he mused. There was a long pause.
“My name… used to be… Me.
But now… It’s you.” 6
 
I am Your Lord, and I plan everything for your happiness, today and for days to come.
If you do not understand, some day, you will, clearly. 7
 
The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil. 8
 
On a dark night, Kindled in love with yearnings – oh, happy chance! –
I went forth without being observed, My house being now at rest. 9
 
The Hail Mary will take us to heaven… Let us say a Hail Mary together. 10


Penelope Olive

Prompt for today: write a cento, a poem that is made up of lines taken from other poems.

 
References
1 Wellsprings, The Wellsprings, Anthony de Mello, S.J.
2 Seasons of Your Heart, On Being A Well, Macrina Wiederkehr, O.S.B
3 Counsels of Light and Love, IX Humility, St. John of the Cross
4 The Poems of St. John of the Cross, Ballad of Babylon
5 Hearts On Fire Praying with Jesuits, Seedlings Anthony de Mello SJ
6 Tales of a Magic Monastery, Myself?, Theophane the Monk
7 My “Rendez-vous” of love with the Lord, Les Amis de la Priere, I AM YOUR GOD
8 HOPKINS, POEMS AND PROSE, God’s Grandeur
9 Dark Night of the Soul, Stanzas of the Soul, St. John of The Cross
10 Sayings of Jeanne Jugan, Foundress of the Little Sisters of the Poor
 

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

 

Comments